- About Saci
- Founder's Statement
- SACI History
- SACI Slideshow
- Trustees & Councils
- SACI Consortium
- FAQ about SACI
- Download SACI Viewbook
- Study at Saci
- How to Apply
- Non-US Student Admissions
- Application Deadlines
- Dates & Fees
- Scholarship Information
- SACI Scholarships
- Federal Aid
- More Scholarship Sources
- Downloads & Forms
- Application FAQ
- Student Life
- News & Press
Click here to download the SACI MFA Degree in Studio Art Brochure.
Please click on one of the titles below to read about eligibility requirements and how to complete the application process.
US and international students who have earned, or will have earned, a bachelor’s degree, or its equivalent may apply for admission to the SACI MFA program. Applicants who attend, or attended, a US college or university must have earned a minimum overall grade point average of 3.0 (based upon a scale in which A = 4.0). The required minimum undergraduate grade point average in studio art course work if the applicant has had no previous graduate experience is 3.3. The required minimum grade point average in previous graduate work in studio art is also 3.3. Those whose native language is not English who have not demonstrated English-language proficiency through prior study at a US institution will be required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) and have their TOEFL scores sent directly by ETS to SACI’s Admissions Office.
In addition to the above, to be admitted to the program applicants must demonstrate:
Academic distinction in prior university-level study as evidenced through submission of transcripts from all schools attended showing courses completed and grades received. In reviewing applicants’ academic records, special attention will be paid to course work undertaken in areas most relevant to the proposed Major Discipline
Artistic promise in Drawing and/or Painting as evinced through submission of a portfolio with images of a substantial number of high quality 2D artworks.
Strong support from instructors or other artists familiar with the applicant’s work as indicated through submission of at least three letters of recommendation that evaluate the applicant’s past academic and/or artistic performance; assess the applicant’s appropriateness for MFA study in Florence at SACI and likelihood of success in the program; and appraise the applicant’s potential for career distinction as an artist and educator.
A background evincing both a high level of achievement in artistic endeavor, as indicated through exhibitions, membership in arts organizations, etc., and sufficient maturity to be able to take full advantage of the unique opportunities available through studying studio art at the graduate level in Florence.
- Clearly articulated educational goals and artistic aspirations that could best be advanced through matriculation in SACI’s MFA program.
Students may begin study in the Master of Fine Arts program in the Fall semester only.
Completed applications should be received no later than March 15. Applications received after March 15 will be considered only if space is available.
Applicants for scholarships must apply by March 15.
The following is a list of requirements for a complete application:
- The completed application form (to be compiled online) and a $70 non-refundable processing fee. Applicants may pay online with Mastercard, Visa, or Discover credit cards. If you prefer to pay by check or money order, you are requested to contact the SACI New York office before submitting your application.
- A one-page essay describing the applicant’s artistic and/or academic goals and influences and his or her reasons for wishing to enhance them by studying abroad at SACI.
- One copy of the applicant's Curriculum vitae
- One set of copies of transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended.
- Three letters of recommendation (academic preferred) from instructors or other artists familiar with the applicant’s work. Recommendation letters must be in sealed envelopes. You can download a form for the recommendation letters from the Downloads section of the website.
- Five passport-size photos. Photos must be in color, on photo quality paper, and 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size. Your first and last name must be written on the back of each photo.
You must additionally submit a portfolio of 15-20 images of your artwork. Portfolios should demonstrate your strongest and most recent work. You must submit your portfolio online via SACI’s electronic portfolio provider. SACI does not require a payment for submitting an ePortfolio. Upon submission of your SACI application, you will receive an email with a link for your ePortfolio submission. Acceptable file formats and sizes for ePortfolios are: Images: JPEG at a resolution of 72 dpi which must be no larger than 600 pixels in the longest direction. Videos: .flv, .wmv,.mov—up to 60 MB each and no longer than five minutes. Text documents: PDF format up to 10 MB each. All submissions must include an inventory list with title, medium, size, date, and description.